Small Group Discussion Guide
Direction determines destination. But what is it that influences direction? What is it that starts us on our course, either for the places we want to go or the destinations we would rather avoid? If we could determine what this is, then we could change our course upstream and save ourselves a lot of time, money, and heartache.
Share an example of a time when something unexpectedly grabbed your attention.
Read Deuteronomy 7:12.
- Why did God command the Israelites to pay attention?
- How do the things that grab your attention influence the direction you take in life?
Read Psalm 119:35-37.
- What are the worthless things we need to turn our eyes and attention away from
- What are the things that capture your attention that will only lead you down paths you don't want to go?
Read Proverbs 4:25-27.
- In what situations are you the most tempted to swerve to the left or the right?
- How can you be proactive and keep your eyes straight ahead?
Read Matthew 6:22.
- What are the things that you need to focus on?
- What are the things that by turning your eyes to them, by paying attention to them, your life will be full of light?
Read Hebrews 2:1.
- When have you turned your eyes away from what was important and found yourself drifting away?
- How can we keep focused on the things that will keep us on the right paths?
What has captured your attention that could prove harmful down the road? What would your friend, roommate, or family say is taking up too much of your focus?
What do you need to focus on and give more attention to? What will you do this week to begin to pay more attention to them?