Small Group Discussion Guide
• At Christmas time, are you happier opening your gifts or watching others open the gifts you gave them? Describe your feelings.
1. Read Proverbs 14:30.
- Why do we tend to compare ourselves to those who have more than we do?
- How is that damaging to us?
2. Read Luke 12:15-21.
- What are some of the “kinds of greed”?
- What do you think makes people greedy?
- Of what does a person's life consist, since it does not consist of “an abundance of possessions”?
3. Read Ecclesiastes 5:10.
- Why do you think we tend to believe that having more money will solve our problems?
- Why is that not true?
4. Read Phil 4:10-13.
- Why is Paul rejoicing that his friends have given him gifts?
- What is the “secret of being content”?
5. Read Acts 20:35; Luke 6:38
- Why do we feel such joy when we give?
- In what ways does God give to us when we give to others?
6. Read I Timothy 6:17-19.
- What are the commands to wealthy people in this text?
- On the flip side, God says He’s the one who has given the wealth “for our enjoyment.” How does that relieve guilt for those who have riches?
Read Matthew 6:19-24
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being greedy and 10 being generous, where do you place yourself? How do you feel about that?
What are some ways in which you could be more giving and store up treasures in heaven? How will you act on this?