Small Group Discussion Guide
-You Decide – Part Two-
Share a time when you were absolutely convinced you knew God’s will in your life. How was that revealed to you?
SLOW YOURSELF DOWN & TAP INTO OTHERS:
Read Proverbs 2:2-6, Job 33:14, John 10:27, Psalm 46:10; I Kings 19:11-13
- Do you struggle with the concept of listening to God’s ‘still, small voice’? Explain.
- What do these verses teach us about being quiet/still in order to hear God’s voice?
- Pastor Bryan said: ‘When God leads or prompts me, it often results in me... humbling myself; confessing sin; a prompting to pray; God telling me to relax and let something go; asking someone for forgiveness, serving someone; encouraging someone; giving something away.’ Do you find that to be true in your life? Explain.
Read Matthew 6:6
- Do you have a quiet place (free from all distractions) that you go to daily?
- Have you ever kept a journal and reflected on the previous days’ events? If so, how was God able to speak to you as you reflected on the previous day?
Read Proverbs 11:14, Proverbs 19:20, Proverbs 27:17.
- Do you have any trusted (wiser, ‘older’) believers that you go to when you have a major decision in your life? If so, how was that relationship formed?
4 TESTS TO CONFIRM GOD’S WILL:
THE INTEGRITY TEST: Would I want everyone TO KNOW?
- Read Proverbs 10:9. If you’re comfortable, share a time when you made a decision and then tried to hide it from certain people because you were ashamed of it. At what point did you realize it was probably not a God-honoring choice?
THE IMPROVEMENT TEST: Will it make me A BETTER PERSON?
- Read I Corinthians 10:23. How does this speak to the freedom we have in Christ?
THE INDEPENDENCE TEST: Could it become ADDICTIVE?
- Read I Corinthians 6:12 and Romans 6:11-14. Have you ever known someone to ‘dabble’ in sin only later to be ‘addicted’ to that same sin? Explain their story.
THE INFLUENCE TEST: Will it harm OTHER PEOPLE?
- Read Romans 14:12-23; Romans 15:1-2. In what ways do you limit your Christian liberties so that someone else (a weaker Christian or unbeliever) won’t stumble?