Small Group Discussion Guide
-You Can’t Fool God-
Share about a time when you experienced the consequences for a poor or the consequences (benefits) of a good decision.
1. Read Galatians 6:7-8
- Discuss the meaning of the statement “God cannot be mocked.” How do we mock God when we think we can evade the consequences of our actions?
- What does it mean to “reap what you sow”? Why do we sometimes think we will not really have to bear the consequences for our actions?
2. Read Judges 2:11-19; Judges 3:7-9, Judges 3:11-12, Judges 3:15, Judges 3:30, Judges 4:1
- What cycle of behavior do the Israelites repeat?
- Why do you think they repeat this cycle?
- How does God deliver them from the consequences of their actions?
- What does this tell us about the nature of God?
3. Read John 12:46-47; Romans 3:23-26
- What is God’s ultimate deliverance for mankind?
- The one area where Christians do not reap what we have sown is our eternal destiny (we deserve hell but receive heaven). However, explain how God’s justice is still upheld in the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.
- How often do you think about the consequences of your actions? Do you typically do this before you act or after you act?
- What are you sowing now that you are not going to want to reap? What are some possible actions steps you can take if you have sown some bad seed?
- Share some ways that you can personally begin sowing positive seeds in your life (family, work, church, neighborhood)?