Small Group Discussion Guide
-Handling Toxic Family Members-
We all get irritated with family members from time to time. How would you describe the difference between a ‘normal’ family member and a family member who is toxic?
1. Read II Corinthians 4:7 and II Corinthians 12:9-10.
- Why is it important to be realistic and accept your limitations in life?
2. Read Matthew 18:21-22; Ephesians 4:32; Luke 17:3-4.
- Why is forgiveness important in dealing with toxic family members?
- Explain the difference between forgiving someone and moving back into a relationship with that person.
- In what cases is it best to forgive but not put yourself back in a relationship with an individual?
3. Read Romans 12:2. Why do we need God in order to ‘renew’ our minds?
4. Read II Timothy 1:7. How does the Spirit of God empower my mind?
5. Read Psalm 119:105. How does the Word of God enlighten my mind?
6. Read Hebrews 10:25. How does the community of God encourage my mind?
7. Read I John 4:16. Why is it so important to understand God’s unconditional love and free grace?
Pray these prayers each day this week:
Father, strengthen me to ACCEPT MY LIMITATIONS.
Father, enable me to FORGIVE MY FAMILY.
Father, empower me to CHANGE MY THINKING.
Father, free me to ACCEPT YOUR LOVE AND GRACE.