Small Group Discussion Guide
-A Spiritual Workout Plan-
Share a time when you embarked on some type of physical workout routine. What sort of discipline did it require and how well did you do?
Read Philippians 2:12-13
- When it comes to spiritual life change, there are two catchy sayings: ‘Let go and let God’ and ‘If it’s to be, it’s up to me.’ What’s true about each of those statements and what is false?
- Paul describes the Philippians as having consistent obedience (“always obeyed”) and mature obedience (“obeyed... not only in my presence, but... in my absence”). On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being always obedient), how obedient would you say you are in the Christian life? Do you tend to obey more often if you know people are watching? If so, why is that?
- Paul says to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. In the Greek, the word fear speaks of reverence, awe and respect... and the word trembling speaks of great intensity. On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being full intensity), how much effort would you say you put into your ongoing spiritual growth?
Read John 15:4-5
- In Philippians, Paul said God’s energy is working in you to help you grow spiritually. In John, Jesus says that in order to grow you have to stay connected to Him, like a branch remains connected to the vine. How connected to Jesus are you, on a moment-by-moment basis?
Read James 5:16
- Prayer is powerful and effective. How often do you avail yourself to the power God offers you through prayer and how might you improve in your prayer life?
Read Hebrews 4:12
- God’s Word (the Bible) is another source of power in our lives. How often do you avail yourself to the power God offers you through the Bible and how might you improve in the area of Bible reading/study?
Commit to spend at least 7 minutes with God daily (see guide we handed out on Sunday).