Small Group Discussion Guide
Share a time when you maintained a joyful, positive attitude in the midst of difficult circumstances, and how that affected you and those around you.
Read Philippians 1:12-14
Key Point: Look beyond the circumstances to see God’s results.
- Paul being in prison was not a pleasant circumstance, but how did God bring good through his imprisonment?
- Have you ever been through a trial that was really difficult, but you could see how God was using that trial to help you grow spiritually or to minister to others around you? If so, share that with the group.
Read Philippians 1:15-18
Key Point: Look beyond the personalities to see the priorities.
- How was Paul able to look beyond the people who were personally attacking him?
- Think about a situation in your life when people were trying to tear you down. Were youable to look past the people and keep your focus on what really matters?
Key Point: Look beyond the bad news to see the good news.
- How was Paul able to look beyond the bad news to see the good news?
- What steps can you take to look past the negatives and focus on the positives in life?
‘The secret to finding joy in your circumstances is to change your focus.’
- Read Philippians 4:4-9
On a scale of 1 to 10, how well are you following Paul’s counsel in this passage?
- What can you do to improve in this arena?
This Week...In Philippians 1:18, Paul says: ‘What does it matter?’ Get into the habit of asking that question whenever you face difficult circumstances or people in your life.
In all things, find the good and praise it! Look beyond the circumstances, personalities and bad news... and trust that God wants to use your situation to grow your faith, minister to others and bring glory to Him.