Small Group Discussion Guide
We live in a society that longs to be “liked,” and the more “likes” you get, the better life feels. How is this true in your life?
Read Genesis 32:3-23
- Describe Jacob’s strategy for meeting his brother, Esau.
- What was motivating Jacob?
Read Genesis 32:24-32
- Jacob is alone, having sent his family and servants ahead of him. Who does he encounter and what happens as a result of this encounter?
- What is the significance of God changing Jacob’s name to Israel (from ‘Isra,’ which means ‘to persevere’ or ‘hang on,’ and ‘El’ which refers to God)?
Read Hosea 12:3
- Looking at Jacob’s life, how is this statement true?
- Why is it easier to cling to our successes and our achievements rather than to God?
- Share how God has used a past experience with failure to shape you.
- How might God be using your weaknesses and your life’s challenges to help you to hold on to Him more tightly?
- With whom do you share your weaknesses? How can we help one another cling to God?
- In what area(s) of your life, do you need to say these four simple words… ‘God, I need you’ ?