Small Group Discussion Guide
- What kind of things strengthen your confidence? What weakens it?
Read Genesis 12:1-4a, 26:2-6
- What promise does God make to Abraham and then his son, Isaac?
- What did these men need to do in order to receive this promise from God?
- What was their response when the promise was offered?
Read Genesis 28:20-22
- What is the “if/then” vow that Jacob offers God?
- What is Jacob’s primary goal here?
- From what you know of Jacob’s story, what might be the motivation underlying Jacob’s goal?
- Share an example of an if/then vow you have offered to God (i.e. ‘If you do this, then I will do this’).
Read Genesis 32:7-12 [NOTE: This scene takes place as Jacob prepares to see his brother, Esau, for the first time since Jacob tricked Esau and then ran away from home.]
- What is Jacob feeling and why?
- What is Jacob’s appeal to God?
- At this point in Jacob’s story, what is the status of God’s blessing? Is it in jeopardy or not, and why?
- Would Jacob agree with your answer to the previous question? Why or why not?
Read II Corinthians 9:11
- According to the Apostle Paul, what is the ultimate outcome of a blessing received?
- When have you experienced fear and distress and reacted like Jacob did? What was your view of God’s blessing during that time?
“The only way to experience blessing is to be a blessing”
- How have you experienced this statement to be true in your own life?
- Identify ONE thing – one problem, one issue, one ministry in need, one person who needs a helping hand – and bless them this week.