Small Group Discussion Guide
Share an example of a way you’ve experienced God’s blessings in your life as a result of your faithfulness in giving?
1. Read Matthew 6:25 and Matthew 6:34. Have you ever thought: ‘I’d love to give more, but I simply can't afford something like regular giving...’ How do the verses above speak to this?
2. Read Proverbs 3:9 and I Corinthians 16:1-2. The concept of giving first to the Lord, is found in both the Old and New Testaments. From the above passage, we see that we are to give regularly and in proportion to our salary. Why is it difficult for us to set aside money for the Lord before we pay all of our bills each month?
3. Which of the following Biblical reasons to give are most compelling to you, and why? a. Giving is commanded by God b. Giving helps us to reach the lost c. Giving helps us to minister to the people here in our church body d. Giving leads to blessings in our lives – here and in eternity
4. Read Proverbs 11:24-25; Matthew 6:19-21; I Timothy 6:17-19; II Corinthians 9:6-11. Discuss what each of these passages teach about the benefits of giving.
5. Read Psalm 24:1 and Deuteronomy 8:17-18. How does remembering that God is the owner and we are simply His ‘managers’ change a person’s perspective of money/finances?
6. Read Proverbs 22:7 and Deuteronomy 24:6. How is debt defined? Are there types of debt that are acceptable? At what point does using credit interfere with living a productive life?
7. Luke 12:48b says: ‘From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.’ God has given us so many resources and we can’t take them with us. How can you begin to manage your resources in a more generous way?