Small Group Discussion Guide
-Joy in Unity-
Share an example of a time when you were involved in an unhealthy rivalry or competition with another person (or group of people). How did it turn out in the end?
Read John 17:20-23; 13:35
- Unity was an incredibly important theme in Jesus’ teaching and prayers. Why do you suppose that was the case?
Read Philippians 2:1-4
- Explain the connection between verse 1 and verses 2-4.
- Paul says: “do nothing out of selfish ambition” - and that phrase ‘selfish ambition’ means ‘rivalry’ or ‘unhealthy competition’ in the Greek. How would you define “healthy” competition vs. “unhealthy” competition?
- Paul says: “do nothing... out of vain conceit” - and that phrase ‘vain conceit’ means ‘empty glory.’ Share an example of a time when you acted out of vain conceit (or when you witnessed vain conceit in another person).
- Paul says: “in humility consider others better than yourselves.” How would you define pride? If you were to encounter a humble person, how would you imagine they would think, speak and act? (Be specific)
Read Philippians 2:4
- What preliminary steps would you have to take before you could genuinely look out for the interests of another person?
Diffuse Rivalry | Delete Conceit | Develop Humility | Demonstrate Consideration
- Which one(s) of the above do you need to work on in your life?
- Discuss some specific action steps you might take to move forward in the area(s) you chose.